The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Fuji HVLP

Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 2:32 AM Quote
I have and use a Fuji Top Feed Pressurized HVLP gun with a 3 stage Fuji Turbine for cabinet and furniture finishing.
I use this system for delivering waterborne systems such as General Finishes Waterbase Paints, and Pigmented Topcoats, and Target Coatings waterborne finishes.

It does a pretty decent job and once the learning curve was ironed out I have been able to do some good work.

Will this be sufficient for the Stewart System for fabric finishing?

Ted
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 2:35 PM Quote
You will have to test it out. I used an older one recently and found that it did not atomize the paint very well. The nozzle was way too big for the viscosity of the Stewart Systems products. If you can find a 1mm nozzle it may work.

The second problem is heat... if the air coming out of the gun after 10 min of running the turbine is hotter than the ambient air temp you will run into problems with the primer/paint drying too fast and may end up with a textured finish.

Jason
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 8:50 PM Quote
Are the Stewarts system products closer to latex based house paints or waterborne lacquers and conversion varnishes?.

Do the finishes "lay down" during the curing process as do modern furniture finishes?

Yes I have a 1.0 mm nozzle and tip available.

Thanks for your answers.
Ted
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 1:32 AM Quote
No the Stewart Systems primers and paints are not like like other waterborne coatings.

Yes they do lay down as they cure. The EkoPoly Premium actually goes from looking nice and wet to a little textured then back to nice and smooth as it dries over night. The primers are done flowing out in 10-20 min depending on temp and humidity.

I have said many many many time when trying out something new to always shoot a test panel first before painting airplane parts. Even if you have painted other types of waterborne coatings you should experiment first.

Jason
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 12:23 AM Quote
Jason
Thanks for the answers.
I just need to finalize my finishing schedule and go from there.

Ted
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 3:54 PM Quote
I've been using an old Croix system and Sicmo gun, and as Jason mentions, there is a learning curve.  I am combating the heat by coiling a portion of the hose in a tub with ice water.  That creates some condensation in the hose if left overnight, so run the turbine for a few minutes and make sure the hose is dry before you start. Currently I'm spraying the Eko Prime on a composite Europa. with a .7 nozzle, with a 20% H2O thinned. You get some build-up on the gun so have rag handy to keep wiping the nozzle off.  Make sure the gun is clean, or it drips easily.  This is more noticeable I believe as water through the gun doesn't clean it properly, so solvent is necessary and  since I'm using it indoors, have not been spraying solvent through the gun to clean it - now cleaning extensively manually.