The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Filling Aluminum prior to paint

Posted: Friday, February 8, 2013 2:46 PM Quote
I'm in the middle of a total restoration of my 1946 TaylorCraft.  I've stripped the paint off of all the aluminum cowlings.
Some of the aluminum has some shallow gouges that I normally would fill by using a filling primer, then sanding it off from everything around, repainting with filling primer, sanding it all off, etc until the gouges were filled.
Do I use EkoPrime for this?  Or is it better to use some other primer for this filling job?  Then ekoPrime, then EkoPoxy?
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 7:31 PM Quote
You can treat the aluminum like you would a car fender and Bondo it up as you see fit. I prefer to bump out dents and then fill them with a lightweight body filler before priming. After I prime and sand I use spotting putty to fill in the deep scratches and minor dents. Typically I use EkoPrime and that after about the 4th or 5th layer of prime/sand/putty I finally have a surface ready to paint. I only primer over the areas that I have been filling until I get it smooth. Then I prime the entire surface.

You end up removing half or more of what you spray on when you're trying to make it perfect. I use EkoPrime because you can spray it right out of the can as a high build primer using a 1.5 - 1.8 tip and then as you get closer to a finished surface you can thin it down up to 10% with distilled water and switch to a 1.2-1.3 tip and get a smoother better flowing coat of primer. You can sand and re-paint EkoPrime about 20-30 min after spraying it.

EkoPoxy would work fine too

Jason
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:15 AM Quote
OK, Jason,
Thanks for the reply.  I'll try the EcoPrime un-thinned.  I think that is about what I'm looking for.  I don't have any really big dents or anything.  Just a lot of itty bitty scratches.
What grit sandpaper do you use?

Tim