The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Ekopoly Premium Fog / Wet coat material usage

Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2013 8:08 PM Quote
Hi Jason!
Making great progress on the (sorta) PA-17.  Finish coats are turning out well using the fog/wet technique though I feel I'm using a TON of paint; I'm sure it's my technique so looking for some input.

Today I topcoated the two elevators, and used a total of 36oz of part A (Insignia white over charcoal Ekofill, 36 oz part A actually sprayed at these parts).  At this rate, I'll need a gallon per wing panel!

Setup is a Tekna prolite, 1.2 tip, "10" cap, ~32psi, dividing "A" by 2.8 for water. Booth temp 63F, 33% humidity.

For the fog coats, I'm about 10-12" back with the needle out about 1/2 turn, fan full open.  Takes a LOT of passes to get full saturation. Directly over the ribs of the elevators were very stubborn to get good color.  I try to keep the fog finish dry looking, verging on satin, a hint of gloss where I'm "hitting it hard" (oops!), but ALWAYS avoiding full wet.

For the wet coat, I move in to 5 inches and 7/8 on the fluid needle.  Actually did two wet coats on the tops of the elevators to get rid of some uneveness of what I thought was a fully color saturated fog coat.

Any tips on the technique? If this seems like the correct rate of material usage I'm OK with that.... just dont want to put more on the plane (or on the floor!) than necessary.... or worse, be short a few oz halfway through a wing.

thanks!
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2013 8:13 PM Quote
some follow-up questions.....

1) Is there anything to worry about regarding time between wet coats (if using fog-wet-wet) besides allowing the first wet coat to tack sufficiently?  My elevators look great 30 hours after painting using fog-wet-wet... I started getting paranoid about "solvent pop" later on down the road  by shooting too much too fast (read of this being a possible issue...taken with a whole lot of salt!!!).

2) If planning for two wet coats; should I go full wet with both, or try for "less wet" first coat (with a likely bit of texture to it)?

3) My fuselage is red & white... starting with a 100% white coat (over the charcoal ekofill) for a base, then adding the red over the white.  The entire bottom of my fuse is red; I'm considering only fogging white (NOT shooting a wet white coat) on the bottom to save weight, paint, and the possiblity of a bad day (runs, sags, junk in paint). Then I'll fog & wet the red over top. good/bad idea??

thanks
-m
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 10:17 PM Quote
The Tekna Pro-lite guns seem to work best for a fog coat with the fluid needle all the way in and for the wet coat open about 1/4 to 1/3 of a turn. And with the 1.2 nozzle and TE10 air cap. For air pressure I use about 33-35 psi. They throw a remarkable amount of paint if you open them up much more than that.

The drier the fog coat the faster it seems to build color saturation.

If you want to put a 2nd wet coat on wait 45-60min at 70 deg F. Make sure to spray a quick very dry fog coat to add some tack to the surface before you spray a wet coat. Never just throw a heavy wet coat on because it will most likely run.

Also it's important to know that the paint will look very good right after you spray it, then about 5 min later it looks textured almost orange peeled, then when it's dry the next day it's all smooth and nice again. Avoid the temptation to come right back and hose on some more paint assuming it will make it flow out and look better. If you put a nice wet coat on trust that it will flow out and look nice when it's dry.

For the area on the fuse that is going to be red just bring the white up to the fog coat and leave it. That will give you a nice white base for the red paint. Take care to spray a dry smooth fog coat. If you get it too wet without going full wet you can get orange peel. It should look like 1000 grit sand paper. If it looks like 80 grit you should sand it smooth before spraying the red.

Jason
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 10:30 PM Quote
I just tried the settings mentioned above and it worked WAY better than my previous settings... had the fluid needle open too far. The spray pattern is much happier and there is way less paint wasted. Thanks Jason!!