The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

EkoCrylic Spray Settings

Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 9:31 PM Quote
Jason,
Primer is all complete and turned out very well.  Tomorrow, I'll spray the color (white) on my Cygnet Wing.  With the Devilbiss Finishline 4 Spray Gun, what should I use for my initial settings on the gun for EkoCrylic?  Second, how long should I let it dry on the rotisserie before moving it from the shop to my family room and setting it on the carpet?  I need the space in the shop.
Thanks,
Jerry Folkerts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:31 PM Quote
We have learned over the years that telling someone what settings to use on a spray gun actually does more harm than good.  What you need to know is how each of the controls work and how to adjust your gun for the product you are spraying.  You also need to know how to do spray pattern testing. Always refer to your gun manufactures directions for proper use and set up.  Do some tests to determine what the best setting is for max performance from you gun is. That is the setting you want for shooting a wet coat. The human factor regarding gun control is more important than how to set the knobs on the paint gun. Understand how the gun works, set the gun as close to perfect as you can, then let the artist inside you take over.

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/0809rc_paint_gun_perfection/

For the FLG-IV gun they normally operate best near the max of 23 PSI with the trigger pulled.

Try about 7/8 to 1 turn open on the fluid needle for the fog coat and 1-1/4 to 1-3/8 open for the wet coat. Every gun will be different. Spraying paint is an art not a science. These setting will be a good place to start.

Fog coat ---  keep the gun about 12-14" from the surface. Do not let the surface become shiny

Wet coat --- try about 5-6" from the surface. Make sure you fully wet out the surface so it looks like you are close to getting a run otherwise you may end up with orange peel.

Keep the gun speed up and use tight overlaps. Moving slow is not recommended.  

http://www.youtube.com/user/stewartsystems

EkoCrylic and EkoPoly Premium need about 24 hrs to dry in the booth.  They are close to tack free after 3-4 hours but still very soft.

Jason
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:59 PM Quote
Jason,
Thanks.  It worked very well.  At first, I had the volume set lower, 3/4 - 1 turn.  Later I turned it up and it worked better.  I only got a bit of orange peel in one small spot, near the end of the wet coat in an aft corner.  I went back over it later and it looks good.  

At first, I probably erred on the too little paint side and had difficulty sneaking up on the wet coat.  I finished before lunch, went back out two hours later and decided to give it one more coat.  It was still a bit tacky and this time I got a really good finish.  I also held the gun a bit closer than before, and it worked very well.

So, other than a typical learning curve, it worked great and I'll be looking forward to painting my large Murphy Super Rebel with it later on.

Best,
Jerry Folkerts