The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Dry Sanding vs Wet Sanding

Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:51 PM Quote
In the Stewart Systems' instructions & the DVD's we are instructed to always dry sand only, but I have never heard why we should not wet sand.

I have experimented on my test panel with both dry sanding & wet sanding. While the dry sanding did well, the wet sanding turned out much, much better. It is much easier, takes less time, & turns out a whole lot smoother.

I would really like to wet sand my whole project, but I am concerned I might cause a problem I didn't think about. Is there a problem maybe with the color coat not bonding properly (the Eko-Fill does come out very slick!), or maybe reducing the strength of the Eko-Fill, or something else I'm not thinking about??

Has anyone heard? (Or have any thoughts on the subject)

Thanks
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 11:08 PM Quote
If you wet sand the EkoFill every where you get runs and sags the carbon dust that you are creating while sanding will leave a faint line on the surface just like waves do when they roll up on the beach. You will not see those tiny lines until after you paint.

Also primers (EkoFill is a primer) tend to hold moisture for a while and you can not paint a damp surface. If you wet sand and wash the surface off with a hose then you need to let it sit 24+ hrs to paint.

If you decide to wet sand just make sure to wash the entire surface off thoroughly and to let it dry 1 maybe 2 days before painting. Never paint a damp surface or one that was rinsed off and feels OK after a few hours because you will get fish-eye's in the paint. Also if you have hard water you will leave a residue behind just like you get in the sink, or on dishes. You don't want any contaminates like that left behind.

Also Waterborne paints bond mechanically so you want a surface that has a little tooth not one that is slick as glass when painting.

Jason