The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

spraying fuselage frame

Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 6:50 AM Quote
After sand blasting the fuselage frame, is it sufficient to just blow it off before spraying the primer?
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 11:35 AM Quote
Yes, after sandblasting it is important to not touch steel with your bare hands. Also very important to use clean dry moisture and oil free air to blow the residue off the airframe. All steel parts should be top-coated with primer and paint. All Primers are porous and will not fully protect the steel from the moisture in the atmosphere. Paint is what gives the best protection for steel parts. I have heard of people spraying down sandblasted airframes with Lacquer thinner before but have not tried that my self.

Jason
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 10:09 AM Quote
Hi Jason
I will be painting my fuselage frame soon. Will zinc chromate work for a primer? How do you go about painting it without getting runs etc with all of the angles? I would like to use the same paint as I use on the fabric.
Thanks
Bob
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 12:10 PM Quote
Oh Bob!!! you're in for a treat  

Painting tubing is something that you will find to be easy but still a head ache. Yes getting into all the nooks and crannies is tough and yes you will miss some areas. You will end up going over the airframe about 3 times before you find all the spots you missed. You might want to take a 1" paint brush and get into all the tight spots first before you get out the spray gun.

Use our EkoPoxy or EkoPrime then top coat it with our EkoCrylic paint and you will have an airframe that will last 30+ years

Zinc Chromate is not readily available anymore and there are better primers than that stuff available now.

To reduce the amount of runs you get turn your spray gun fan down to about 2-3" wide and reduce the paint flow through the gun and make many fast light passes instead of trying to prime or paint it in one slow heavy pass.

Jason