The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Gluing fabric to a wooden trim tab

Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 4:21 AM Quote
Hi All,

I'm wondering what the best method of gluing fabric to a wooden trim tab will be.

If I were using dope I'd dope the trim tab & let it dry. Then glue the fabric around the edges and shrink the fabric. When properly shrunk I'd brush MEK down through the fabric to dissolve the dope underneath and then brush on some thinned dope.

When using Ekobond I'm wondering if I should follow the same procedure, ie lay down a layer of glue before I shrink the fabric or just brush down a layer of glue after shrinking the fabric?

I do need to do some shrinking of the fabric as there are lightening holes in the centre of the trim tab.

Here's a link to a photo of the trim tab;
http://harvie.cable.nu/gallery2/main.php/v/Don/Flying/VH-CRR/leftElevator/trim_tab/IMG_5477.JPG.html

(It's an old photo and the trim tab has been varnished with two pack spar varnish since then).

Thanks,
Don H
Sydney, Aus
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 5:25 PM Quote
Just glue to the perimeter and shrink normally. The EkoFill will soak through the fabric just enough to bond it to the surface of the wood. It's not super critical to glue the fabric to the entire surface of the wood. If you glued it tight to the surface all the lightening holes would be much more apparent when you're done than if you just let the fabric bridge over the holes.

Jason
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 5:34 PM Quote
Excellent Thank you Jason,

After I posted this I found the post in the wood finishing and wondered if that would have been the way to go. But it will go with the Ekofill approach.

Wing & Elevator re-cover on the Auster is imminent.

Don H