The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Eko-crylic orange peel

Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:49 PM Quote
I'm shooting color coat on top of eko-poxy primer and am getting orange peel consistently.

Set up:

80 gal compressor.  Lots of air.
Air dryer, filter at compressor, filter at gun.
All recommended high flow fittings, etc.
DeVilbiss finish line 3 gun with 1.3mm tip.
Shop, paint, and parts all maintained at 70 deg. F. 24/7.
Gun PSI 23, per mfr recommendations.

The first two fog coats go on ok, with a matte appearance and not uneven.

Third and fourth coat is when the texture starts to develop.

I'm letting it tack up until it doesn't show paint on the back of a finger.

I've done test pieces with viscosity down to 19 sec, heavier 3rd/4th coat, lighter 3rd/4th coat, etc.  Unless I get it on heavy enough to run, I'm getting the orange peel.

On what I've done so far, it's subtle enough to live with except the horizontal stab, but I don't want to do the wings and fuselage until I get this dialed in.

Thanks.

Burt
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 5:33 PM Quote
No need to shoot EkoCrylic in a 2 cross coat application. Try the fog coat/wet coat application as described with the instructions sent with the can. Good chance it will yield better results with less effort.

Orange peel comes from not wetting out the surface enough to flow. Not having the paint gun set up properly. Not thinning the paint enough for the conditions it's being sprayed in.

If the final wet coat does not have the "oh my god it's about to run" look then you may not be wetting out the surface enough to get the paint to lay down.

If you are painting with the 2 x-coat technique you may find that somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd application you end up with a semi textured or modeled surface because you are half way between a fog coat and wet coat then the final coat will also be textured.

You can try reducing the paint with a little more water to thin it out for better flow if you like. I prefer 19 seconds.

To avoid runs pick up the gun speed and make more passes with a tight overlap to build up the final wet coat in multiple layers applied quickly instead of moving slowly laying our paint in one or two passes.

http://www.youtube.com/user/stewartsystems

With a finishline spray gun try your fog coats at 23psi indicated and with the fluid needle about 1 to 1 1/8 turn open holding the gun about 12-14" from the surface moving quickly

The wet coat you need to move the gun back down to the normal 5-6" from the surface, open the fluid needle up to about 1 1/4 - 1 3/8,  slow down a bit but not to a slow pace, keep a tight overlap, and wet out the surface where the wet look comes about 2 seconds behind the gun.

Every paint job regardless of what type of paint or equipment is used will have a tiny bit of orange peel which is unavoidable because of how paint cures. The goal is to minimize this orange peel to an almost unnoticeable amount.

Jason