The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Finishing around grommets

Posted: Friday, November 2, 2012 3:58 PM Quote
Some cut outs in the videos show the grommet being glued to the outside, the fabric inside is cut into tabs, wrapped to the outside and then a patch is put on the outside, tab cut, wrapped to inside and it looks great.  Now on the fuselage the grommets are glued to the inside but the finishing technique is not shown.  Want to keep it neat but also encapsulate the grommet. Thanks in advance Jason.
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:47 AM Quote
I believe in the saying "there's more than one way to skin a cat" I have never cut and folded the fabric over the inspection ring grommet like is shown in the video and never had problems with fraying fabric or loose grommets. If you do a nice job gluing the doily over the grommet and cut it out with a sharp razor blade after painting and use the recessed type inspection covers instead of the domed ones you should be fine. Some builders like to melt the center of the grommet area out with a soldering iron as another way to avoid the fraying of the fabric over the years. The key is to get the best glue joint you can between the fabric and the grommet, then get the best glue joint between the doily and the grommet. Then use an inspection cover that does not move around in the slipstream which is why the fabric starts to look ugly around the inspection grommets. There is nothing wrong with cutting and folding over the edge and gluing it down to the inside of the fabric. I just personally have never felt the need to do so.

Grommets for inspection covers are typically installed on the out side of the fabric and covered with a doily or patch of some type. I can't think of a situation where you would put the grommet on the inside of the fabric and a patch over the out side.

Jason