The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Fabric required on fuselage wing root frame?

Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 12:18 AM Quote
I was wondering the reason for putting fabric on the fuselage wing root frame. In your instructional DVD's they show them installing fabric there and I was wondering how important it is to have it there? Will fabric there allow the area to be more weather proof? Will it reduce noise. I just wanted to find out because my co-owner partner doesn't think it is required. I believe that it is need for weatherproofing. Please let me know. thanks, Dave
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:19 AM Quote
It all depends on the aircraft. What are you building?

Jason
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 7:53 PM Quote
It's a 52 Piper Pacer
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 10:36 AM Quote
Yes on that aircraft you should have the exterior fabric stretched over the wing root area and attached to the door frame for both structural purposes and for sealing off the cabin keeping water out and heat in. You have a head liner so you don't need it on the inside of cabin in the wing root area.

Jason
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 4:09 PM Quote
Jason,
Actually I installed the Steve's Skylight STC so I don't have a headliner in the forward part of the cabin. I am putting an aluminum panel in the interior wing root area. I think I will go ahead and cover the outer wing wing area for weatherproofing.
Thanks, Dave
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:41 PM Quote
Oh Yeah for sure with a skylight I would do the metal interior side pieces. If you installed the full skylight back to the rear spar  then I would treat it like a Supercub. Heck I would even put sight gauges in like the Supecub's

Jason
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:34 PM Quote
Jason, The sight gauge idea would be cool. I'll have to look into that. We were planning on relocating the circuit breaker panel on the left root panel area so I need to check for clearance issues with the wing root fabric.
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2012 1:50 AM Quote
Cub guys take the CB panel out of the wing root for fear of having the electricity near the fuel lines in a crash when you twist or crumple a wing the fuel lines pop off or the tank ruptures and floods the area with gas.

There is no room for CB if you cover the outside of that area with fabric.

There is no fabric in the wing root area on a Supercub.

Jason