The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Choosing an air compressor

Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2011 12:42 PM Quote
Modern HVLP paint guns require lots of air to work properly. Most of them need a minimum of 13 CFM to properly atomize the paint. The air compressor is only the first part of your painting system. Look for a minimum of a 220v 5HP electric motor running a dual stage air pump. A true 5hp 220v motor is going to dray 23 amps. A lot of less expensive compressor manufactures have inflated ratings on their equipment. I did a lot of research and found what I believe is a great deal on a US made air compressor by FS-Curtis. This unit properly maintained will last a lifetime and overhaul parts are easy to come by if needed. This is what we use in our shop at this time and have been very pleased with it.

www.aircompressorsdirect.com/FS-Curtis-555VT8-Air-Compressor/p4459.html

Jason
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:09 PM Quote
Northern Tool also carries the same unit for about a $100 less and includes free shipping.
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 10:56 AM Quote
I have had great luck and great results from two "T'd" together 25 gallon craftsman pro 125/220 7.2 SCFM compressors.  With them T'd they are about 13-14 CFM and I easily get 25 PSI at the gun.  I believe they are about $400 each and they are portable so when you are done you can use them for other things.
Posted: Thursday, December 1, 2011 7:15 PM Quote
Northern tool no longer carries Curtis compressors.  12/01/2011

Bill
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 8:03 AM Quote
I like acropilots idea which I have heard about before. Tee two smaller compressors together to get the needed CFM. For me this will be my only big painting project as I don't run a repair shop. YouTube has instructional videos on how to tee compressors. Of course mif I had an bigger budget that Curtiss compressor sure looks nice.
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 8:35 AM Quote
Confused a bit on ratings.

Are we talking ACFM or SCFM and at what pressure.

Trying to figure out how to best understand the needs here without doing the trial and error thing.
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2014 9:42 PM Quote
SCFM and mine was at 90 PSI which is measured at the output regulator.