The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Ecocrylic am I doing this right?

Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 2:48 PM Quote
Hi folks, left a voice mail on the company phone as well.

Shot my S7 fuselage today with the custom mixed Dark Gull Gray you guys whipped up. Beautiful color and it shot very flat. Perfect.

However, I am using a basic HVLP sprayer to do this and I wanted to make certain that it was just the first fog coat and then a second heavier pass and then that's it. I know I have asked this question a couple of times and I am sure the answer is the same but before I tear everything apart I wanted to make sure.

I think I get a little concerned because the Ekofil was two crosscoats per pass and if I understand it I just shoot two coats on the Ekocrylic without cross coating.

Volumes were mixed not weight and I mixed 12 oz of color to 4 catalyst to nearly 4 of water with a time at nearly 22 seconds on both doses, had about 3 oz left on each pot for a total of 34 oz to cover the fuselage only. It sprays nice but does this sound correct from your experience?

Heavier and I started to get some runs and orange peel which I tipped out and then shot over to get consistent texture. Worked fine because I want a military utility look but 2 coats for some reason seems a bit light.

I guess if I do the math, I end up using Just over a gallon for the fuselage and wings and then a quart or so for the surfaces and you shipped 2 gallons so.

Thanks
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 9:15 PM Quote
Job is dry and I have a few areas of what appear to be color separation where I have speckles of light and dark grey but in general the finish is even. Somehow I missed a couple of spots and even found a pinhole where I think I had sanded against a paint run on the fuselage tubes. I have decided to shoot a third coat of EkoCrylic to get coverage on the missed areas. It's simpler that way and in the end I think the finish will be worth it. It's the fuselage so it will take a beating in the fields.

Any further input is welcome.
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 1:29 PM Quote
Due to variations in technique and equipment you may find that you get a more consistent and even finish if you shoot 2 tack coats and 1 wet coats. Or you can do 1 tack coat and 2 wet coats. Your description sounds like you may have been just a tad light on how wet or even the second coat was. Try to keep the overlaps tight on the spray gun as you lay out the last coat to make sure you have good coverage.

Jason
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:49 AM Quote
Decided to go with a third coat so I sanded everything lightly, cleaned it up and shot the third coat with two fog coats shot at 90 degrees to one another and then a third heavier coat. Dried beautifully. Very flat. Texture is somewhat stipled due to my gun which I am good with since it flattens it our even more. It looks very durable.

I do wonder about volumes though. I mixed a total of 20 oz (12 paint, 4 catalyst and nearly 4 of water) and still had a third of it left over AFTER shooting. I tackled the elevators and an access panel which took care of that, but I am wondering hat your experience is in total amounts used? All I have left is a Cowl, wings and surfaces minus elevators and I have a gallon and a bit over a third of paint left. Does that sound right?

Thanks again. Very happy with the product.
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:44 PM Quote
total volume used varies due to equipment and technique but you can figure on 2.5 square feet per 1 oz of part "A"
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:03 PM Quote
Tore off all masking tape and paper and things looked great but then with sunlight behind the plane I noticed twi very fine paint/primer free lines. It looks like something pointed scraped the paint off but very narrow like a .5mm penil lead thin.

What is the recommendation for repairing this? Just hit it with topcoat, or do I sand those areas, reprime and paint?

I do not remember brushing up against the fuselage but it does concern me that something as simple as a brushing up against the side might remove paint so easily.

Any thoughts?

Todd
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2012 2:52 AM Quote
I am not sure I exactly understand what you are describing. Can you email me a picture? I need a little more information to better answer your question.

Jason