The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Adding an aluminum patch to fabric.

Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 9:22 AM Quote
Inside an elevator is the trim tab mechanism with a bolt head that occassionally rubs against the inside of the fabric. I have heard of restorers gluing a very thin strip of aluminum to the inside surface of the fabric to  reduce wear.  Since the elevator will be enclosed  how would you recommend proceedeng? At this point, the fabric is only tacked into place so shrinking it might pull it off the tubing. - MIke
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:16 AM Quote
I would glue a patch in like the other builders recommend. Try to brake the edge of the metal over just a tiny bit and make sure not to get any glue on that edge.

Use EkoBond like a contact cement. Apply to both surfaces and let it mostly dry. Then push together and apply heat from the fabric side to soften the glue slightly allowing you to smash the fibers of the fabric deeper into the layer of glue.

If you have one side of the stab covered you can shrink to 250 deg. I normally do before putting the second piece of fabric on.
Make sure you have wiped glue down through the weave of the fabric and wiped off the excess over the bed layer of glue you applied to the structure before shrinking.

Jason
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:47 AM Quote
OK, so the final shrinking of the fabric won't affect the glue joint, right? - Mike
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:01 PM Quote
No the final shrink won't effect a thing. The first shrink is where the majority of the shrinkage happens.

Jason