The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Small Irons

Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:55 PM Quote
Hi,

I will be covering two airplanes that I am building. Nevr having done this before I  need to buy proper tools to perform the work.

I looked on your web site and saw two small irons offered for sale.  

Can someone explain the differences in the two  that make one almost twice the price of the other.

Thanks.

Wally
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:15 AM Quote
The less expensive iron does not hold temp as well as the more expensive iron. I don't worry much about that since you don't shrink the main fabric with the small iron. I like the shape of the foot better on the cheap one and the non stick coating seems to be better. I have always considered the small irons disposable items and just trash them when they get too gummed up on the bottom. The one nice thing about the expensive iron is that you can easily grind the tip down to about a 3/16" thin flat wedge that you can then use to iron fabric down inside hard to reach areas like window channels.

Do not use the digital inferred thermometers on your large irons. ALWAYS set the temp with a mechanical thermometer, then once you know the true temp you can adjust the settings on your digital thermometer to read the proper temp for that surface. I often see temps read 100 deg lower than actual when using the digital thermometers so be CAREFUL otherwise you can damage not only the fabric but over shrinking fabric can damage structure as well.  

Jason
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:18 PM Quote
Hi Jason.

I have been away for a week racing my sailboat and today was the first day back.

Thanks for the heads up on the irons and the advice about calibrating them. I will make good use of that information.

Wally