The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Which Fabric?

Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2012 9:31 PM Quote
Hi,
    I have a Cygnet which has been basking in the sun for 21 years.  It is past time to re-cover the wings.  The first cover was 2.5 ounce generic Dacron.  Would there be any advantage in using a lighter weight fabric other than the weight difference in the cloth.
    The Cygnet wing has a diagonal lattice covering the ribs (3/4" eide strips) that are no more than 5" apart, so the fabric has only a distance to span.  The wing area is 130 sqft, the gross weight is 1100#.
Thanks,
Al
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 12:04 PM Quote
You can use the light 1.8 oz fabric if you want. I always use light finishing tapes. You're only talking about a 1lb weight diff for the wings. IF it was my airplane I would probably use the Superflight 102 medium 2.7 oz fabric just to have a little more durability. It's only a .1 oz per square foot difference between 1.8 and 2.7 fabric. (Fabric wight is per square yard)

Jason
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 9:02 AM Quote
Hi Jason,
    After not too much thought, I agree with the heavier fabric, mainly because of the fact that there are no tapes over the edges of the lattice that the fabric is bonded to.  
    Do you have any thoughts about the best procedure for bonding to the lattice.  I am concerned that if I pre coat the lattice with Ekobond, the shrinking process may be a problem.  Ultimate strength of the bond to the lattice is not an issue since the strips are 3/4" wide and only 5" apart.  Should I pre coat and try to attach the fabric fairly tight before shrinking?  That will be much easier with your process than what I used originally.
Thanks,
Al
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 11:22 AM Quote
Just glue to the perimeter and and shrink the fabric. Only shrink to about 300 deg. Dilute the glue about 5% with water, Cut the bristles on a bush down to about 3/4" long for a stiffer brush. Then push the glue through the weave of the fabric over the lattice and that will be fine. Make sure to let the glue soak a bit before wiping off the excess so you get a good saturation.

Jason
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 8:54 PM Quote
Thanks Jason, exactly what I needed to know!