The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Slightly different application 3 coats then 24 hours later 4 coats

Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:19 AM Quote
Can you talk some on the topic of slightly different application of the Eko-poly.  I get decent coverage of the insignia white over the grey eko fill  in some places but in others I think it could use a bit more paint.  I think Dan told me months ago that I could spray the first 3 coats then let it sit over night then spray the whole process (4 coats this time) again to get a little better coverage the next day.

Any thoughts?
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:38 PM Quote
If you work on putting down better coverage on the first coats by using tighter overlaps and moving faster and making sure you hit full color before you lay on the final wet coat you should not ever have any issues with "light areas"

If you spray out say 3 very smooth coats avoiding any orange peel you can wait till the next day wipe down with Alcohol, scuff sand, tack-rag, and wipe with Alcohol again then spray 3 more making sure the last one is a "wet coat"

Jason
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:16 PM Quote
Jason,

I'm not so much getting light spots rather than very slightly translucent paint.  It just isn't a rich white color like the paint over a white background.  So the desire is to get that rich white coat.   I'm very certain that I put all coats on nice and smooth and with plenty of overlap.  I was actually concerned that I was putting it on too thick.  My second coat was almost shiny not really dull.  I then waited till it was tack with no color transfer and shot the 3rd coat.  Again I waited till it was tacky with no color transfer and shot the last.  Where I am seeing light spots (where the grey eko fill kinda shows) is on a few stitches and on a very few pinked edges.   So add all that on to the fact the richness of the color isn't there and I wanted to put a second coat on.   What I am trying to do is avoid this on the wings.
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 7:50 PM Quote
If you see a bit of a translucence in the final finish I suspect that the tack coats were too heavy. You want to have a good light and very even tack coat as you build up to full color saturation. That is what keeps the thick heavy coats from pulling back from the pinked edges or high spots. You should Not have a "Wet" look after the second coat that's just a bit too much too fast.

Jason