The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Pre-Shrinking tapes?

Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 8:36 AM Quote
Hi,
I have read that some covering systems recommend pre-shrinking their tapes.  They say that this is to prevent the tape from shrinking and pulling away from the surface on a hot day in direct sunlight. Any value to doing this with Stewart glues and paints?
Thanks,
Hal
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 3:14 PM Quote
Pre-shrunk tapes have commonly been used with solvent based covering systems when the aircraft is painted dark colors.

We have not had issues with tapes shrinking back in the sun. When properly applied EkoBond has 3 times the bond strength of the solvent glues. Yes the fabric gets hot in the sun very quickly when painted with a dark color. You can purchase pre-shrunk tapes and use them if you like but we have not had any complaints using the normal tapes. If you use standard tapes just make sure to iron them down nicely before applying the EkoFill

Jason
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 3:21 PM Quote
I guess that I should iron them at a lower temp than would shrink them. Maybe 225 degrees?
Thanks,
Hal
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:07 PM Quote
You can run a test by applying a finishing tape, let dry overnight to be sure, then run the iron across the tape at 250 with some pressure. Let cool for 2 min then turn the iron up to 350 and run it over the same tape to see if the edge shrinks back. If the tape pulls on you then check to make sure you have good glue penetration of the fabric. There should be hardly any air bubbles in the glue on the finishing tape. Try a test with medium and light weight tapes. I don't know if one shrinks less than the other. I think the light would resist shrinking more

Jason