The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Fun with orange peel

Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:24 PM Quote
All,

I am beginning to get going on small parts on a Sonex with Ekopoly and am learning as I go.  My early attempts were, shall we say comical.  Runs and orange peel ... but orange peel is my real enemy now as I get better with handling the gun.

Following Jason's most excellent and patient descriptions of painting technique over the phone (and all the youtube videos), I am:

Trying to apply a fog for the first coat (3/4 turn, moving really fast, 5-6" from the surface, smallest droplets, highest density!)
Checking tack and ensuring I am back on for the second coat before ten minutes.   Actually, as soon as you don't get color on your finger, go!  If you wait too long here, you are turning into an orange.
Trying to ensure I get enough paint on (up to the point of a run) in the subsquent coats.

Last night's attempts were the best so far, but I am finding still metal harder than fiberglass.  It really wants to orange peel a bit, even with the above.

What I do love about it is that when correctly applied, it looks great and it is great to work with - it won't kill you and it is very easy to clean up.  The point of this post though, is to get a little discussion going about the tricks and traps of getting a really good finish.

Anyone what to share their experiences as to getting it just right and chasing the orange peel away for good?

Cheers,

Andrew
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:57 PM Quote
The most important thing to remember is that paint will amplify the surface it's going over and that if you start out painting orange peel you'll end up with orange peel.

All paint systems have just the tiniest bit of a very light orange peel in the finish when they cure, just go look at your car and you'll see what I mean. The amazing mirror finishes are usually only achieved after buffing out the paint which is an acquired technique as well.

Thanks for the update and look for more YouTube videos on painting in the future. I have been playing with all sorts of different application techniques and am quite impressed with just how flexible the application of EkoPoly is.

Jason