The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Pressure Pot with HVLP gun

Posted: Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:09 PM Quote
Greetings All:
I've got a Kellogg 2 stage compressor so I'm set in that department. I used a turbine HVLP gun 20 years ago and was not impressed. It was a top dollar unit though I don't remember the brand.

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying a Binks 2.7 gallon used pressure pot and using liners. It just seems like the little gravity cups on the tops of these new age guns would be a pain in the butt with a catalyzed paint. Then again I don't know how quick these Stewart paints go off so maybe I'm over thinking this. Anyway I'm thinking something like a used Binks Mach 1, (send it to the shop for IRAN) and a pressure pot. I'll need a dryer for the setup too as the Kellogg doesn't currently have one.

Is this the way to go or am I going overboard? The project will be a Stinson 108.

Thanks
Dan
Posted: Tuesday, January 3, 2012 5:10 PM Quote
No need for a pressure pot and the related mess of hoses and wasted paint and cleaning time. If you're buying a pressure pot gun it's most likely an old school type of gun. Stick with a modern gravity feed HVLP and a 13+ CFM air compressor for best results, easy of use, and simple quick clean up.

If you need to spray upside down you can do that with a modern gravity feed HVLP gun using a disposable bag system. I have done it and it works quite well. The paint gun works at any angle. Think of a baby bottle liner type system.

Expect to pay about 500-600 for a top of the line gun. IF you are on a serious budget the DeVilbiss finish line III is the best gun for the money on the entry level guns. You can get them online for about $140

Jason
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:32 PM Quote
Which of the better "higher dollar" HVLP brands do you recomend.
Ray Walker
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:22 AM Quote
the top 3 spray guns you can buy are Devillbiss Pro-Lite, IWATA Supernova, and SATA 4000B. I ordered up a DeVillbiss Pro-Lite with the 2 high efficiency and 1 HVLP air caps and a 1.2-1.3-1.4 nozzle to test out. I hope to have a review of that gun soon.

Jason