The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Rib Stiching

Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 8:11 PM Quote
I have been trying to find information on rib stiching and have not found any books on the subject.  Does anyone have a suggested book or video they could recommend?  Thanks.
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:58 PM Quote
Forget the Modified seign Knot. Use the Beech Staggerwing knot.

Our manual has directions for both knots and there are lots of videos on Youtube on how to rib stitch. You can download the manual for free from our support section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F7H-rWTBgw&list=UUrlV5GMsw4S6zTn9bzjFwkA&index=1&feature=plcp

Jason
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 11:10 PM Quote
Thanks for the information. That was a big help.
Posted: Saturday, February 4, 2012 3:33 PM Quote
Hello Jason

There is a topic on Byplane forum about rib stitching ply skined rib bays,(Wing Walks, Raven I Strut Bays)  i was going to just stick the fabric down and not stitch?

Do i need to drill little holes in the ply skin and stitch these as well??

Many Thanks

Neil
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2012 8:06 PM Quote
Its up to you. Over wing walk I would just glue down and forget stitching. EkoBond has 3 times the bond strength of the solvent based glues in a 90deg vertical pull test. Depends on how much of a hot rod your plane is I guess and what you intend to do with it.

Jason
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2012 5:39 PM Quote
Couple questions about undercambered wings:

1) I am building a just aircraft highlander, what is your recommendation for attaching the fabric to the bottom of the ribs? I am planning on stitching rather than riveting, though have not ruled the rivets out. Do I need to glue the fabric to the ribs, and if so, how does that work into the shrinking order of things?

2) the rib capstrips are fairly wide (1"), do I need to cover the whole surface of the capstrip with reinforcing tape if stitching? That would necessitate using two 1/2" wide strips of tape on each rib under the stitching.

Thanks,

Dane
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 12:16 PM Quote
On an under-cambered rib with a 1" cap strip I would brush on 2 layers of glue across the cap strip. Then iron the fabric down over each bay and each cap strip keeping all wrinkles to a minimum. Then brush glue down through the weave of the fabric over every cap strip, wipe excess off and let dry. Using the small iron go over every cap strip at about 275 deg using pressure. Then you can shrink the fabric in each bay at 250 then about 275 and probably stop there. If you wish to rib stitch then lay 3/8" reinforcing tape across each edge of the cap strip. Use the Superflight reinforcing tape because it is only as thick as masking tape and will disappear under the finishing tape better.

Jason
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:06 PM Quote
Thanks, I have 2 more questions now:

1) Should the whole wing only be shrunk to 275 or should the top still get shrunk to the normal higher (350 if I recall correctly) temperature?

2) So just put the tape over the corners o the capstrips, not the full width, leaving a "gap" between the tapes in the middle of the capstrip?

3, I lied) would you recommend stitches over rivets in this airframe?

Thanks for the help, you guys are great!
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:56 PM Quote
I would stop at 275-300 on the top of the wing

I would put the reinforcing tape just on the outboard edge of the cap strip leaving a gap in the middle

I would rib stitch the wings. May not need it but would help in re-sale down the road.

Jason
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:39 PM Quote
Thanks, that is the way I'll go with it.