The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Fabric and Metal paint finishing

Posted: Sunday, October 9, 2011 4:32 PM Quote
What kind of paint should be used on aircraft which are a combination of both Metal and Fabric? For example, on a Stinson 108, there is a fair amount of sheet metal, (cowling, boot cowl, flaps, ailerons, and complete empenage) while only the fuselage and wings are fabric. With the ecopoxy primer on the metal and ecofill for the fabric, can the ecopoly top coat be strayed over both of these surfaces? I have seen on some airplanes (paint process unknown) that there is a noticeable color difference between fabric and sheet metal painted areas. Wondering how your product compares.
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:04 AM Quote
Jason can chime in with udated info but the Stinson is no different than my Super Cub.  You use the same paint as the fabric.  The primer is different.  Fabric is Ekofill. For metal, you can either use epoxy primer or the one part primer.  I used the one part primer on sheet metal with excellent results.  I also used regular PPG epoxy primer for critical steel parts and some of those I painted with Stewarts.  All holding up great after 150 hours.  Stewarts has a waterborne epoxy primer as well.
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:11 PM Quote
I knew about the Stewart primers, any idea how their top coats stick to Corlar Epoxy Primer? (Dupont product which is usually the base coat for Imron). That stuff is tough as nails and I would like to use that on the sheet metal pieces... just not sure about adhesion and color matching once the top coat is on (sheet metal vs fabric). Like I said, I have seen some aircraft where the top coat color is noticeably difference between the sheet metal and fabric.
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:12 AM Quote
Our EkoPoly will stick as long as you properly scuff and clean the surface prior to painting. The reason paint looks different over metal and fabric is due to the use of 2 different types of paint. Normally on an airplane covered with dope or polytone (single part paints) you would use a catalyzed 2 part paint on the metal and those paints are typically a different shade and higher gloss. With our EkoPoly as long as the metal and fabric parts have the same color primer on them the color and gloss will be the same.

Jason