The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

how to get rid of the runs

Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 12:09 PM Quote
I need help ? I just began my paint job on a newly built metal aircraft.  I began with the ailerons to practice. The 2 coats of Ekoprime went fine.

I sprayed the 4 coats of Ekopoly as shown on the video and I got runs.  Should I sand the part completely to the metal and start over with the primer or is there a fastest way ?

Robert
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:42 PM Quote
I got some orange peel on my first try with the top coat.  I simply waited 24 hours and sanded it smooth (not all the way) with 320 open coat and re-applied and it went on just fine and smooth.  I would try that first.
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:31 PM Quote
First off I need to reiterate how important it is to not use airplane parts for testing or practice. That's what poster board or scrap aluminum is for.

If you have big runs all over the place when spraying you can stop painting, rotate the part, and most of them should level out if not too bad.

Or you can wash the paint off before it totally catalyzes using scotch-brite and some EkoClean and LOTS!! of water.

If the runs have dried you'll need to sand down and re-paint. When sanding runs I like to mask off the surrounding area so I don't remove any paint other than the run. The after I have flattened it out as much as possible I remove the masking tape and feather out the edge and scuff up the rest of the panel before re-painting.

After sanding, tack rag the surface using waterborne specific tack rags and wipe the surface with Isopropyl Alcohol. If you didn't sand down to the primer you can get away with shooting a tac coat / wet coat.

I posted 2 new videos on out YouTube account about mixing and spraying EKoPoly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsnzpJzFvC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uWMsSmW1K4&feature=related

Jason
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 10:12 PM Quote
I mixed the paint according to the instruction and I sprayed the first 3 coats correctly.  I think I didn't wait long enough before the fourth coat that's where it went wrong.  Also, I turned the paint knob 1/4 turn more for the fourth coat but I think that is too much on my gun.

I'll let you know of my progress.

Robert
Posted: Sunday, October 9, 2011 8:39 AM Quote
jason gerard wrote:
After sanding, tack rag the surface using waterborne specific tack rags and wipe the surface with Isopropyl Alcohol. If you didn't sand down to the primer you can get away with shooting a tac coat / wet coat.
Jason

After a tac coat / wet coat over an existing painted panel, will I get the same glossy finish ?

Robert
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2011 9:51 PM Quote
Yes you will have the same glossy finish with a tack coat/wet coat type application.

Jason