Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:25 AM Quote
We have been made aware of an isolated issue with EkoPrime that we believe has been caused by application with a Turbine HVLP unit.  The turbine unit is an older Croix CX-9.  We believe the issue is related to the heat created by the turbine, and the issue may not be present in newer multistage turbine units.  However, I would like to reiterate that our recommendation is to apply all of our products with a compressed air HVLP gun such as the Devilbiss Finishline IV or other guns of equal or greater quality.  I realize that many customers have had success applying primers and even topcoats with the turbine HVLP units, but we do not consider it a proven or recommended method.  To avoid any chance of these problems, we continue to recommend using a compressed air gun for best results.  An air compressor with a capacity of 13 cfm is necessary to operate the Devilbiss Finishline gun continuously.  Currently a compressor with that capacity made by Ingersoll Rand is available at Tractor Supply Company for $700.  While that may represent a significant investment, keep in mind that is the cost of 2 gallons of paint, not to mention the labor of sanding off a defective paint job.  Perhaps, for those who have made the investment in the air compressor to paint their aircraft and no longer need it, consider posting it for sale on our forum for another home builder?  If you have any further questions about this or any other topic, please feel free to email me or call in anytime.  The email and phone number is in the "contact us" menu above.  Also, please continue to post your experience and questions on the forum for all of us to learn from!  

Thank you!
Andy Humphrey
Stewart Systems
Andy Humphrey A&P
Stewart Systems Tech Support