The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Tekna Prolite

Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 11:16 AM Quote
This is just an FYI for those out there who are looking for a spray gun.  I just upgraded from a Warwick 980 HE to a Devilbiss Tekna Prolite.  The difference is night and day.  The Prolite atomizes much, much better and makes it really easy to get a smooth, dry fog coat that sets you up perfect for a smooth as glass wet coat.  

I seem to be using different settings than the guys at Stewarts.  As they will tell you, any suggested gun setting from anyone are just a place to start.  All setups are different.  

I'm using the 1.2mm tip, and the TE20 air cap.  I have yet to try the TE10 air cap.  For fog coats, I've got the fluid needle 1/2 a turn out and I keep the gun speed up.  A fog coat is a good workout.  For wet coats, I've got the fluid needle 1 turn out and I slow the gun down.  I'm getting gloss about 2-3 seconds behind the gun like Stewart's recommends.  

I'm still experimenting with gun settings.  I still want to try the TE10 air cap.  The TE20 uses a lot of air.  I think I'm going to try 1 1/8 turns out for wet coats too.  I think I can get it a little wetter than I have been so far.
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 12:12 PM Quote
I've had more of a chance to use the Prolite.  From what I can tell so far, the TE20 is the aircap of choice.  It atomizes a little better and produces a little better final product.  It does seem to use more paint though.  I bet I use 10% less paint with the TE10.  I'm still using the 1.2mm tip, 1/2 turn out on fog coats, with the gun back away from the part, 1-1 1/4 turns out for wet coats, gun 6-7" away.  I'm mixing the paint 4:1:1 by weight +/- 1 gram.  I did try thinning by an extra 3-5%.  I don't think I gained anything other than paint that runs easier.  I'm painting in 66-70 degree temps with about 40% humidity.  Take all of this with a grain of salt.  I don't have a lot of experience painting.
Posted: Friday, August 4, 2017 2:01 PM Quote
I'm sticking with the proline 3 due to cost of the upgrade to the Tekna, however I do have a question, in the videos from Stewart Systems the gun cup is metal, The Develbiss guns specific to waterborne paint specify the plastic cup? Anyone that can tell me about this? Also interested in knowing how many CFM the Tekna requires or uses.
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 12:21 PM Quote
The reason the waterborne guns have a plastic cup is because apparently there is a waterborne paint out there somewhere that will react with aluminum.  Our products do not react with aluminum, so it is not necessary to use a plastic cup.  However, I have found that the plastic cup is easier to clean I like it better than the aluminum.  We also use the D-kups system, or the 3M version of it.  Those are very handy since you can spray in any position without sucking air.  They also clean very easy rather than disposing them as they were intended with solvent paints.  The Finishline guns do an excellent job.  I do like the Tekna Pro-lite a little better, but for most people it probably not worth the extra cost.

Andy
Andy Humphrey A&P
Stewart Systems Tech Support