The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Spray Technique

Posted: Monday, May 2, 2016 3:00 PM Quote
I'm about to put the top coat on my flaps and ailerons. I've been using three fog cross coats and one wet coat with the Eco-poly premium. When painting these long narrow parts it it still necessary to use the cross coats, or can I make all the spray passes in the same direction (long way)? That's how I applied the filler coat and primer and it seems to have worked out fine. I'm thinking if I do cross coats back and forth across the short dimension I'll wind up wasting a lot of paint and and greatly increase the opportunity to screw up by starting and starting and stopping the gun so often.
Posted: Saturday, May 7, 2016 10:12 PM Quote
When applying the fog coat and wet coat,  I only move the spray gun horizontally until I obtain the coverage I desire. The spray gun is far enough away from the surface(11-12 inches) when fogging, that I don't feel cross coating is necessary. If your light is right you can watch the coverage. In the video,"fog coat, wet coat", Jason just calls for color saturation for the fog coat. If you feel you need to cross coat to obtain this, go ahead, but my arm gets too tired doing cross coats.