The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

How to topcoat over a repair patch?

Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2016 11:19 AM Quote
I managed to get a hole in the fabric on my wing tip. I have already patched it and applied the EcoFil coats. My Pacer was painted with the EcoPoly Premium.  I would like to know your recommended techniques for topcoat spraying over the repaired area? I understand there is a way you can mask the perimeter of the area to be painted to prevent a paint hard line forming. How is the best way to do that? Would you need to sand out and buff it into the surrounding topcoat after it's fully dried?
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 9:42 AM Quote
There are a couple ways to approach that.  One is to simply use masking.  The best way to do that is to mask just outside the where you want the line with regular masking.  Then put the fine line masking on top of the regular masking up to the where you want the line.  As soon as you are done spraying pull the fine line up.  That will let is flow a bit and blend.  You will still have a bit of a line, but should not be harsh.  Another method we have heard from customers and are experimenting with is to mask a larger area around the patch.  Paint your wet coat over the patch and try to feather it out as you get away from the patch.  Remove the masking.  Let it tack up a bit.  Then take a soft rag and some 91% isopropyl alcohol and remove the light overspray and blend the heavier overspray.  I would practice that on something first though.  There is an art to it!  If we get it perfected we will make a video.

Andy
Andy Humphrey A&P
Stewart Systems Tech Support
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 10:36 AM Quote
What about curling the edge of the tape up so that it will feather a bit as the gun passes, and then wet sanding and buffing after the paint dries to blend it in. I've read on the web about some having success blending paint this way.  I tried it on my motorcycle saddle bag with matching ColorRite paint and it worked great.  No one will ever know unless the sun is hitting it just right and they get down and look very closely.

Any thoughts?