The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

DH Tiger Moth - covering turtle decks

Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 4:12 PM Quote
Hello

I am considering how to cover ply structures such as the turtle decks on a Tiger Moth. From what I have read, first you seal the ply with either a varnish or a product stewards wood sealer.

You glue down the fabric perimeters as normal - shrink the fabric to 250 degrees and then paint a quick coat of glue to fasten the fabric to the ply underneath. This glueing should not be a heavily wetter coat as it only needs to hold the fabric to the ply to give a neat finish and stop movement of the fabric against the ply .

The glue being used in this step being diluted by adding 5% water prior to use.

As this is a re-cover I am wondering if in 30 years time someone will be able to remove the old covering and replace it with new fabric without a huge problem

Can some one please comment and let me know if I have missed a step or give feedback from their experience with ply structure covering.

I suspect that where the fabric is covering the leading edge of a wing the technique is completely different.

cheers
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2015 3:35 AM Quote
All

Its a real shame that questions such as this aren't answered by Stewart Systems and furthermore its a greater shame that Stewart Systems haven't released a video covering this fundamental aspect of vintage aeroplane recovering. You are left to wonder if their products are suitable for this type of work.

sad
Ross
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 9:08 PM Quote
Jason

I have just been watching the Stewart Systems video on wing covering and was impressed with the felt covering of the leading edge of that Piper wing. It got me thinking could this same technique be used on the ply covered turtle decks of a De Havilland Tiger Moth? I was also thinking that it might also be beneficial for the covering of the ply-covered leading of DH Tiger Moth wings. It appears to be a fairly flexible system.