The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Using Ekoclean prior to Ekopoxy

Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 7:34 PM Quote
Question on metal prep (in this case steel tubing) prior to applying Ekopoxy.  Customer support has suggested going over the tubing with Ekoclean prior to Ekopoxy application.  As this is a concentrate, what would be a good mixing ratio with water?  I also have concerns that this much H20 may have rusting preferances as it dries?  The instructions also mention rinsing with water after this application which also seems counterintuitive to rust.

Am I headed down the correct path here?  Looking at some of the other posts, maybe I should be using a conversion coat prior (or maybe instead of)?

I have a mix of previously rusted (light surface) and poly zinc primer. All has now been sanded down with 80 grit and Scotchbrite to a mix of bright steel and scuffed primer.

Many thanks,

Larry S.
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 8:52 PM Quote
Bare steel should not be wiped with EkoClean because it will flash rust.  Aluminum tubing is OK but not on steel.

Steel should be sandblasted or sanded before priming.  Steel conversion coatings can be applied over the old zinc and partially sanded tubbing prior to priming as well

Jason