The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

How to paint a fuselage

Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 9:41 AM Quote
Hi,
    My re-cover is coming along well.  I found that nitrile gloves help keep the skin on my fingers when sanding the Ekofill, and I am now preparing for the topcoat.  Wings were not a problem.  I had them on rotators so it was quick to do one side and then flip them for the other as in the videos.
    Now comes the fuselage with a top, two sides and a bottom.  Even though I am set up so I can rotate the fuselage, I am concerned that by the time I get back to where I started I may lose the required tack.  Does it make sense to finish the bottom and the interior and mask off those areas before starting the top and sides?  
    Timing is such that the topcoat will be shot in the second week of October in New Jersey.  Air temperature can be anyplace that time of year, so what difference can I expect the with EPP near 60f?  I did the wings with the old EP at around 70f.
Thanks,
Al
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 7:52 PM Quote
paint the interior first and let fully dry.  Then paint the bottom and let dry.  You can mask along the lower longerons just below center and cover the bottom of the fuse.  once the sides/top is painted quickly remove the mask from the bottom and the paint will flow out with out leaving lines.

Jason
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2014 10:29 AM Quote
Hi Jason,
    Made sense to me, but with only one chance to get it right, it is good to hear that it made sense.
Thanks,
Al