The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Buffing out orange peel (EkoCrylic)

Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 11:23 PM Quote
I have a noticeable amount of orange peel in the rearward part of my fuselage.  When I did this, I originally did a double cross-coat application (which developed orange peel), wet-sanded it with 320 grit, then did another double cross coat on top but got--not surprisingly--more orange peel.  I am aware of what I did wrong, so what I wish to know now is whether I should sand it again and do a single cross coat application (fog coat-wet coat), or if I can get away with buffing the finish smooth.  If I can buff it smooth (I will be using a professional variable speed buffer), what would be the best way to do it?  What type of buffing compound should I use?

My painting technique has gotten markedly better, so when I am ready to buff the other parts of the plane (without orange peel), what would you recommend for a final buffing procedure?
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 11:10 AM Quote
Wet sanding to a smooth surface with no texture and buffing is a bit of an art form.  Once you are ready to buff it's recommended to use a heavy buffing foam pad followed by a soft polishing pad and a dual action buffing machine.  A polishing machine will not cut it.  Use the appropriate compounds and go slowly trying to avoid burning the paint.  Mequires products have worked well for a lot of people.

Jason