The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

steel converter

Posted: Monday, June 9, 2014 3:50 AM Quote
Hello,

I have just finished some parts makes with U channel spot welded front to front, so there is no possibility to spray anything inside. This kind of U channel is extremely sensible for the corrosion. Do you think that a "bath" of steel converter will work to protect it?

One more question, do you think it is interesting to spray all my airframe with steel converter before painting? ( maybe do I have to prime before painting?)

Aurelien
Posted: Monday, June 9, 2014 9:54 PM Quote
Conversion coating converts rust and does not prevent it.  Use a weldable primer that you can buy at most welding supply stores. Be sure to sandblast ( do not leave an extra rough surface ) before priming any steel.

Jason
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:52 AM Quote
Hello,

Ok, and what about using steel concerter before painting all my frame?
and Do I need a primer before painting?

aurélien
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 11:34 PM Quote
Steel should be sand blasted before priming AND painting.  Primer helps provide corrosion protection and helps the paint adhere to the steel.  Corrosion coverers are not used on tubing unless you are unable to sand blast or remove existing corrosion from a specific area.  They do not provide protection from corrosion they attack existing corrosion.  Primers have the corrosion inhibitors in them and the paint has the ability to protect the primer.  Steel should not be left in primer alone regardless of what type of primer it is.

Jason