The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Croix CX-10 Turbine System with Sicmo HVLP gun

Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:36 PM Quote
Hello,

I plan on painting my Piper Arrow in June, and in preparation for this big project I was able to borrow a Croix CX-10 turbine HVLP system with a Sicmo spray gun.  This system was purchased, a number of years ago (at least 20 years ago) by a fellow who built 2 Glasair planes.  From what he told me, this system is high quality and quite expensive.

The Sicmo sprayer came with two nozzles/needles--1.0mm and 1.4mm.

I understand that turbine systems will generate a fair amount of heat, so my plan will be to coil some of the air hose and place it in a large bucket with ice water.

My question is with regard to the sprayer:  Can i use the 1.0mm or 1.4mm nozzles, or do I need the 1.3mm or a different size nozzle?  I noticed that a 1.3mm nozzle was recommended with another HVLP system, but I don't know if I would be able to find that size nozzle on this older gun.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 3:21 PM Quote
You'll have to set up and shoot some test panels.  The equipment you have should work fine with a little practice.  The recommended 1.3mm nozzle size is only for the Devilbiss finsihline series spray guns.  I would try the smaller nozzle first and see what kind of results you get.

Jason