The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Covering turtledeck

Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:08 AM Quote
What is the correct procedure to cover  a plywood turtledeck? Is the whole t-deck covered in glue?
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:45 PM Quote
Yes a light layer of glue over the entire sheeted area of plywood is what I would do.

Jason
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:52 AM Quote
To elaborate on this, in order to help future builders:

I called the tech line the other day, while waiting for a forum response. Hopefully, as I understood it, this is the process in detail:

Use Eko bond as per normal around the edges and top seam of the t-deck. Then, for the t-deck surface, brush on a diluted coating of Eko bond (add 5% water). Let dry. Add fabric. Tack iron the edges only. Then lightly shrink the main surface at 250 deg to remove creases. Finally, brush through the fabric with 5% diluted Eko bond and wipe as you go.
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 3:52 PM Quote
Hi Jason,
   Related to a t'deck, my fuselage has a gas tank at the front of the t'deck.  Aft of the tank, just stringers.  When first covered I used polyester padding glued to the tank.  Plane was covered with generic Dacron with Ceconite 7600 (there it is again) filler and then dope.  It looked good.
    I used the padding on the leading edges of a different plane (SS) and painted the padding with Ekobond as the video instructed.  Should I coat the padding  on the tank with Ekobond?  If so, why is that necessary?
Thanks,
Al
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 10:31 AM Quote
you would coat the padding so that it is sealed and does not soak up the filler as you brush it into the weave of the fabric.  

Jason