The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

EcoPoly, Mixing by weight

Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 10:49 PM Quote
i have some small areas to paint, and find getting the ratios by volume difficult when dealing with small quantities.
on your topcoat video, you show mixing by weight. can you tell me what ratios to use?
if the topcoat and catalyst are the same SG i can calculate that, the water will obviously be different, is it that critical?
thanks,
Phil
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:34 PM Quote
OK, i found it. i am using quart cans at present, and couldn't find it on the labels. i was looking through my gallon cans and found the mix by weight ratio on the lid of one of them.
cheers,
Phil
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:59 AM Quote
So , if you found it can you tell the rest of us the mix by weight ratio?!
                                      Thanks.
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 10:05 AM Quote
This is the information from the PDF instructions...

Mixing EkoPoxy
EkoPoxy is mixed 5:1:1 by volume using Distilled water as the reducer. Expect a 4 hour pot life at 75 deg F. Normal application is a fog coat/wet coat application with a wet film thickness of roughly 3 mil. EkoPoxy can be sprayed using HVLP, RP, or HE type spray gun using a 1.5-1.8 mm nozzle. EkoPoxy can be sanded and re-primed if needed after 30-45 minutes. You may top-coat EkoPoxy after 2-3 hours @ 75 deg F.
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 10:06 AM Quote
Would the ratio change if mixing by weight instead of volume?
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2014 10:33 AM Quote
I know this is kind of a late response but I am just at this stage. Dan told me to mix it 4 to 1 to 1 by weight. You need a gram scale to do this. I have just painted my fusealage with sport yellow and silver using these ratios and was really pleased with how easy the  Ecopoly went on using the fog coat/wet coat method. With the yellow or any light color be sure you have a good white primer base to spray on. I had some gray spots where i had sanded through the primer to the Ecofill and it was very hard to get the yellow to completely cover these spots. Some areas I can still see the gray through the yellow but others probably woundn't notice.

Take Care,
John Cooley