The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

How about self etching primers?

Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:17 PM Quote
I have used self etching primers extensively on scuffed cleaned aluminum versus the old alodine methods. The results have been great. I like the Martin Senour self etching primer. Is this an acceptable approach and then straight to a EkoPoly finish coat?
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:30 PM Quote
Yes our primers and paints will stick to other primers.  The only one not recommended is zinc chromate.  I often use a rattle can of self etching primer when working with small parts and if i don't have enough parts to warrant mixing up a batch of EkoPoly I'll use Rustolium in a spray can to paint small steel parts before assembly.  Steel always needs to be painted for maximum protection.  Aluminum can be left in primer.  I only use alodine if I'm not going to prime and paint the aluminum or if the aluminum had corrosion on it before I cleaned and etched the surface.  

Jason
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 2:12 AM Quote
Any particular issues with SEM rattle can self etching primer?
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:55 PM Quote
Not familiar with that brand or type of primer but testing would show if it all works together.  There is a good chance there won't be any issues.

Jason
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:07 AM Quote
Jason,
You mention the use of Alodine on previously corroded aluminum surfaces.  Here is our situation, I am working on an older Cessna 172 with some areas of considerable surface corrosion on the wing skins.  It almost looks like someone applied paint stripper to areas and then left it there.  In any case, the corrosion does clean up to legal limits and we are intending to paint the plane with Stewart products.  Do you recommend simply using the Ecoclean/ Ecoetch and moving straight to Primer or shoud I add Alodine after the etching?
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 1:48 AM Quote
Jason no longer is with Stewart Systems, try contacting Andy.
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2016 9:56 AM Quote
Charles,

I'm sorry I did not see your post earlier.  We do not recommend Alodine.  I would recommend etching it good with EkoEtch and then coating it with EkoPoxy with in 24 hours.  Then topcoat as normal.  That will protect if very well.  

Thanks!
Andy
Andy Humphrey A&P
Stewart Systems Tech Support
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 4:11 PM Quote
Hi Andy
One more important question.  Ecoetching and Ecopriming my aluminum leading edges will it make it safe to apply the Ecobond to attach fabric to the aluminum substrate and subsequently the Ecofill and Ecopoly to follow.
Regards,
Anton
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 9:52 PM Quote
antonmajkut wrote:
Hi Andy
One more important question.  Ecoetching and Ecopriming (Ecopoxying rather)my aluminum leading edges will it make it safe to apply the Ecobond to attach fabric to the aluminum substrate and subsequently the Ecofill and Ecopoly to follow.
Regards,
Anton
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 10:54 AM Quote
Any issues with a self etching primer being sprayed over EkoPoxy? I have an interior part that I've primed with EkoPoxy and then had to countersink some holes in it and I'm not sure I want to mix up a batch of EkoPoxy just to re-prime the holes.