The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

regluing on primed surface?

1 2 Next
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2013 11:27 AM Quote
Hi all

I am reconstructing a Fisher 202 and I forgot to install the fiberglass center section. All covering is done and primed gray but need to cover this small front section and interface it with the rest. Can I put glue directly on my previously primed fuselage? Thanks

Ron from Montreal
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2013 1:13 PM Quote
Yes you can glue right over the Ekofill.  Be sure to wipe excess glue off completely because the weave of the fabric is already sealed so all the excess glue will stay on the surface.  Use a damp towel to wipe up the excess and it will leave a cleaner surface.  

Jason
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2013 1:55 PM Quote
THANKS!!

Will post updates.

Ron from montreal
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 4:16 PM Quote
Hi and thanks again for a fast response.

I only need the last tape on the corner. picture below. I love Stewart way of covering!
(oups...where can I post pictures?)
Ron from Montreal
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2014 8:55 PM Quote
I'm assuming its also OK to glue over EkoPrime?
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 9:49 PM Quote
Repairs or adding a patch or any kind of additional fabric at any time only require cleaning and scuffing the surface before glueing down the new fabric

Jason
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 9:52 PM Quote
what about gluing down new fabric on a structure? Gluing fabric to EkoPrimed Aluminum OK?
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 10:34 PM Quote
It's the fabric to fabric glue joint that matters. I wouldn't terminate a fabric to sheet metal glue joint that's in the slipstream over primer or paint regardless of what covering system is used.  I'd want the fabric glued directly to bare aluminum.  In the off chance your primer doesn't stick to the aluminum you'll loose the fabric too. On wings you have a fabric to fabric overlap so it's not an issue. You can glue to bare or primed aluminum. Steel parts always need paint on them. Primer alone is not enough protection.

Jason
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:16 AM Quote
Why does the manual say to etch and prime aluminum before fabric attachment?

this is on a glider so no slipstream concerns

if i have any reason to suspect the primer is poorly adhered then i will clean up 2" along the line where the fabric is currently attached and use a 3" tape to attach it to clean aluminum. When i cover the other wing I will glue directly to clean aluminum and prime the rest of the wing after the fabric is on.
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 12:30 PM Quote
Jason,

i'm getting close to putting fabric on the other wing. I need to decide if i'm going to attach the fabric first or prime the aluminum skin first. Most of the fabric on the wing is riveted but some of it is glued down. From the factory this was done with a 1.5-2" joint over the zinc chromate using dope.

I will need to spray some primer on the internal structure before attaching fabric anyway and i personally like the idea of knowing that all of the wing is covered in primer before being covered for additional corrosion protection. I suppose having the fabric glued to bare aluminum and then ekofilled and painted provides the same level of corrosion protection.

I primed the other wing entirely before attaching the fabric since that is what the manual says to do to prep aluminum for fabric attachment. So far I don't really have any reason to doubt the quality of the primer. I did have some questions about the etching process but talked with Doug on the phone and since i'm not seeing any bubbling under the primer (it's been on for a few months) i have no reason to suspect that we left any etch on the wing and therefore no reason to doubt the quality of the bond.
1 2 Next