The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

finishing tapes

Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 10:20 AM Quote
What would be the preferable placement of the different widths of finishing tapes on a fuselage?
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 10:16 AM Quote
I always look at other examples of the same or similar aircraft and copy what I like best. Personally I put 3" on the Lower longerons and around the vertical fin then use 2" everywhere else. The door opening normally gets 3 or 4" depending on what makes it look best or how far you need to wrap it inside to cover the jam. Just do what you think looks good and flows.

Jason
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 12:32 PM Quote
Hi Jason,

It's me again :-) I have my PA-22 tail pieces, ailerons, and flaps covered and stitched. When I ordered the materials I specified everything for these and I'm good so far! One question though, I have one 50 yd roll of 2" and one 25 yd roll of 3" finishing tape. Where is the 3" planned for? I'm assuming edge tapes, especially on the hinge lines with the larger diameter tubing. Is that what I should be doing?

BTW, I did all the covering work so far in a hotel room during training for a new airplane at work. I couldn't have done that with a solvent system! Great stuff!!!

Thanks!

Jim
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 10:43 PM Quote
Yes 3" around the entire perimeter

Jason
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 1:33 PM Quote
Hi Jason,

Getting back to work on my project.  All the rib stitching is done and all the ribs are marked to start taping but not sure which "secondary areas" need tape.  If the fabric is not touching the internal structure it does not need tape?  Are there any areas that are common to miss that should be taped?  Thanks in advance!
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 9:11 PM Quote
Try to copy what others have done. Look at similar aircraft and tape whatever you think looks right.

Jason