The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Priming over primer

Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:03 PM Quote
Hi Jason,
    I am refurbishing a plane that has spent its entire life outside.  The tubing frame was coated with epoxy chromate, and except for some areas shows little or no corrosion.  I will be stripping the fabric and want to treat the frame by sandblasting any areas that show corrosion, re-prime and paint.  
    Can the EkoPoxy be applied to existing primer?  I intend to sand or scotchbrite any areas that do not need sandblasting.  It has been 25 years since since I originally sandblasted the fuselage but I clearly remember it as being the worst part of the build.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
Al
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:14 PM Quote
Our primers will stick to the old primer as long as it's clean and has been scuffed.  Make sure to remove all sanding residue or your adhesion will suffer.  It's best if you can spot sand blast the areas of rust and re-prime them. That's the only way to remove all the rust. You can burn the old primer off with a torch and then use sand paper to remove the rust too.  Scotchbrite will not take the rust off.  You must get all the way down to bare steel. You may also consider using a steel conversion coating over the corroded areas before re-priming.  You can brush our EkoPoxy and the EkoPoly Premium if you like.  Just don't dilute the EkoPoly premium with water if you plan on brushing it on and use a high quality bristle brush.