The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

YouTube Wing Covering video?

Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:31 PM Quote
Hi all,

I am in the midst of deciding how to recover my Pacer wings and tail. I've been viewing the videos and in one of them there is a reference to a video about covering a Colt wing. Is that video still available some place? The aileron and tail videos are great but I'd like to see the wing covering video.

Thanks,

Jim
N7743D PA-22/20
Univair tailwheel
Stewart wingtips
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:19 AM Quote
you can purchase the entire 6 disc DVD covering and painting video set off our web store for $20.  Just search "DVD" and you'll find it quickly

Jason
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:15 PM Quote
Thanks Jason, I'll take a look. Here are some  questions that have popped into my mind while watching the YouTube videos and reading the STC manual.

The manual says to prime before covering, however

1) The 7GCBC aileron does not appear to be primed. None of my aluminum parts appear to have been primed in the past when they were covered. Will alumiprep and alodine suffice? What am I missing? Ditto for the wing panel in the inspection ring video, it appears to be bare aluminum.

2) My steel parts appear to be rust free and epoxy primed, what can I go over them with assuming my IA is happy?

Thanks,

Jim
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 12:32 PM Quote
There is no need to prime aluminum parts prior to covering.  If building a seaplane or ag plane and you wish to have additional anti-corrosion protection then priming the aluminum prior to covering is recommended.  If you have good clean and corrosion free aluminum parts then I would just cover them.

Steel parts should always be painted and not left in primer.  All primers are porous and will not protect the steel for the 30 years that a cover job lasts.  Epoxy primers are only solvent resistant.  They are not meant to be a final coat or they would be called a epoxy paint.  All professional aircraft builders paint the steel parts with a high performance catalyzed polyurethane type paint to provide the proper protection.  Painting steel parts has been the trend for the last 10 years or more of professional builders.    

It is recommended to top coat all steel airframe parts with our EkoPoly Premium paint prior to covering.

Jason
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 9:40 AM Quote
Thanks Jason, good info for this first timer. I spoke with my IA and I've got one last question for you. In reading this board I saw you mention using the lightweight tapes, is that in the STC approval? I didn't see it and my IA is asking. I'm getting ready to order material from Superflite (fabric) and Wick's (wet goods) because I can drive over and pick it up, thanks!

Jim
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 6:58 PM Quote
The weight of the fabric is only specific to the main fabric being used on the structure not the finishing tapes.  Light tapes look better and are easier to work with.  You are using our STC to cover the airplane you do not need to do it exactly like the manufacture did.  

Jason
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:37 PM Quote
Jason,

Thank you for the information. He just wanted to assure compliance with the STC and hasn't seen the manual yet (he just got recalled to the airlines as a pilot, so he is busy in training). I'm trying to move forward with my covering job before I go to training myself for a new airplane at my airline.

I'll have some paint gun questions in a while, first I need to get started with the fabric!

Jim