The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

I have a run on the finish coat

Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:30 PM Quote
I am restoring a Taylor J2 and I am through the finish coat of eko-poly yellow. We wet sanded the run smooth
and now we are having trouble bringing back the gloss. We wet sanded 600, 1200, and then 3000 and followed up
with 3M auto polishing technique used for automotive poly urethane. It is still dull. it is like the ekopoly is too soft and rubbery. Any ideas? Should I repaint the  one side of the fuselage? Thanks for your input.  Paul. I finally got the painting process
figured out and it looks great(except for the run).
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 11:55 PM Quote
The older formula for EkoPoly does not polish out very well. The new EkoPoly Premium does. You can not hand buff it back to a shine, you must use an orbital buffer. It is recommended to use Megquires diamond cut 2.0 and a heavy cut foam pad followed by Megquires cleaner/polisher and a fine buffing pad.

If you are shooting the older EkoPoly I would re-paint the side.

Jason
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 10:09 PM Quote
High Jason,
                   Just was reading the question about paint runs. I had just finished some paint respray on my upper fuselage
on my Tri pacer back in late June. did have a few small paint sags. Have not tried to sand and buff yet. Can you give me some pointers?   Should I dry sand or wet sand before buffing? I did see that you suggested using orbital buffer. I thought maybe I should do some color sanding of the new finish and buff all areas I just repainted. It looks very nice and has great gloss but a bit more orange peel  then other parts of aircraft. I do not want to touch it  and creat my having to repaint it again.
Yours thoughts are much appreciated.
                                                   Dan
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 11:21 AM Quote
When buffing out the new EkoPoly Premium you need to sand the surface smooth to remove the defect.  Finish it off by wet sanding with 2000 grit paper.  Then use cutting foam pad and Meguires diamond cut 2.0 with your orbital buffer to cut the surface smooth.  Then switch to a polishing pad and Meguires mirror glaze cleaner/polish to bring the shine back and remove swirl marks.

Jason