The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Frosty Finish

1 2 Next
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 9:05 PM Quote
Jason, I just finished the Ekopoly color coats on my fuselage. The coats went on beautifully, but as it cured it took on a frosty, blushy look. There is literally no texture that you can feel, just appearance.  All the prep was done in compliance with your videos and manual. I finished my wing panels last year and I was thrilled with them but did have the same "frosty" look on my tail surfaces. I was able to fix that with your scotchbrite-fog coat-color coat technique. Now that it has happened again, I am wondering if it's because of technique, paint, paint booth conditions or something else. I am prepared to scuff and recoat but would rather not repeat what's happened. I have pictures if that would help but I'm not sure how to attach these to a forum message. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Bob
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 1:41 AM Quote
Is it blushing? are you painting in high humidity? The only other thing that I can imagine is application of the final coat is not a full wet coat, or you're getting solvent pop in such a matter that you loose the gloss. Sometimes too heavy of a coat under certain conditions will skim over and as the co-solvents try to evaporate they get trapped in the coating which can cause anywhere from a loss of shine to pin-holes. Do you have a sample you can send me from an inspection cover cut out?

If your pictures on on a web based photo sharing site like photobucket then you can attach them to your post using the image or the link button.

Feel free to email them to me. Sometimes you just can't get a good picture of what you are describing.

Jason
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 1:31 PM Quote
Jason, it certainly reminds me of blushing when using air-dried paint products. I'm painting in exactly the same conditions as when I did my 4 wing panels last year, and they are great. The humidity on the day I painted (last Friday) was mid 50's and temp never exceeded high 70's. The Ekopoly seemed to go on beautifully. The "blush" didn't appear right away. It took 20-30 minutes. I did use 5 coats, ie 2 1/2 cross coats, to get the color depth and coverage I was looking for.   I waited waited nearly a 1/2 hour before shooting the last coat. Did I possibly wait too long or not long enough? I don't have a web based photo album but will try to send as separate e-mail if that's OK. In any case, I know what I have to do to fix it. I just don't want to load it up with too much paint.

Thanks!
Bob
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 2:43 PM Quote
If you are shooting the new EkoPoly Premium then you don't use the same application technique as the old EkoPoly. You want to follow the directions on the can and the paperwork shipped with the new paint. How old is the paint you have?

I think you might be experiencing a little solvent pop hazing

Jason
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 12:47 AM Quote
Jason, I created a Photobucket account. Let's see if I can make this work. http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/flyinham/library/
I don't know if these pictures will help, but worth a try. The paint I used was ordered late last summer or early fall. As I said before, it seemed to go on beautifully. I have a new quart can of Ekopoly Premium on hand and another quart on order for some metal fittings and landing gear parts. I had the fuselage on a rotisserie which is still set up and ready to go again. I was afraid I might get some overspray as I worked around the fuselage but the Ekopoly seemed to blend in as I went. It was a real challenge to keep moving within the timeline.

Thanks!
Bob
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 11:58 AM Quote
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 12:04 PM Quote
I am kinda stumped on that one. It sure looks like blush. Where does that modeled texture come from? the surface looks like leather in those pictures.

Are you shooting the new EkoPoly Premium? How old is the paint? what kind of equipment are you using?

Jason
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 1:46 PM Quote
Jason, That picture is a macro close up of the surface. It might be a little too dramatic. The color is actually great, even if the picture looks like leather. The light shining into my garage really showed the surface better, but really alters the color of the picture.  If you run your finger over it with your eyes closed, you can't feel it. It feels as smooth and slick as a glossy surface. It's just that the overall look is dull and "frosty" in places, very much like blush. If you look at it in my driveway, you could imagine dew forming on it. That's the appearance it has from a couple of feet away. The Ekopoly was from an order last fall. It was stored in my basement workshop which is always cool. My gun is a Finishline 3. I guess I was hoping to understand what went wrong, because I'm going to do the fog coat, color coat repair this weekend. We have 2 cool dry days coming, Friday and Saturday. I hate to just "let it go" because my wings came out so well.

Thanks!
Bob
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 5:11 PM Quote
Did you wet the floor down when painting? Are you covering the floor with a drop cloth? that could have brought the humidity up enough to cause blush. Also if you turned the fans off and stopped the exchange of air in the booth while the paint was curing can cause blush. I would think that the little extra paint in the 5th coat after 30 min might have been what caused the blushing too.

Jason
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 5:38 PM Quote
This is a description I found searching the web

Matting
Also known as: loss of gloss, dieback

Description
Loss of initial gun gloss after finish has dried.

Origin and Potential Causes:
Improper film thickness
Poor airflow, high humidity
Solvent-sensitive substrate
Incorrect mixing, contaminated hardener, or unsuitable thinner
Insufficient airflow in oven or interrupted baking

Prevention Techniques:
Follow application recommendations on Technical Data Sheets
Close activator cans firmly after use
Ensure sufficient airflow in oven and do not interrupt baking cycle

Remedy
For mild cases, sand and polish.