The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Gun settings for FinishLine 3

Posted: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 8:42 AM Quote
Hi All,
I bought a new DeVilbiss FinishLine 3 (FLG3) early in my project. If I were buying a gun now I would get the new one shown on the new spraying videos. But since this one is not returnable after such a long time, I was wondering if it could be used for the new paint and what settings may be optimal?  It has a 1.3 mm orfice and the cap is marked 23 max psi.
Thanks for your help,
Hal
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 1:53 AM Quote
the gun wants to run around 21-23 psi with the trigger pulled. Adjust the fan control to full open and try the fluid control around 1 turn for the fog coat holding the gun about 12-14" from the surface and moving fast. The idea is to get a soft yet full fan width with the best atomization you can achieve and apply a dry-ish not glossy color coat using as many passes as it takes to get color saturation.

For a wet coat try 1 1/4 turns open and bring the gun back in to the normal 5-6" from the surface and wet out the surface as you go. A wet coat is a wet coat is a wet coat. A good wet coat looks like it's about to run but it doesn't.

When practicing find out what makes it run and then back off a little by picking up speed or increasing the distance a little. The surface should still look nice and wet.

Resist the temptation to go back and add more paint right away. The EkoPoly Premium will go on smooth, then looks modeled about 3-5 minutes later as it flows so adding more paint as it's flowing may cause runs or solvent pop. If you feel the need to add a second wet coat wait 45-60 min. Spray a quick dry fog coat to improve the tack of the surface before laying on a second wet coat.

Remember to practice on something you can throw away. Do not learn to paint on your airplane.

Jason