The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

ecoprime color saturation

Posted: Saturday, May 4, 2013 5:17 PM Quote
Hello,
Does your ecoprime require complete color saturation to provide protection?  I have been priming priming rib attach angles and there have been areas that have not received complete color saturation.  I can feel that there has been complete coverage but not the saturation.  Mainly on the inside of the angles.  These parts are on the inside of the wing and will not be seen so I really don't care if there is complete color saturation as long as they protected and the top coat will stick ok.  I have not had a problem on the flat parts that I have primed so I know it is not the product.  The angles have been hanging 5 to a hook with a little wire "handle" at the bottom so I can hold tension on the parts so I stand a fighting chance.  So, back to the original question, does ecoprime require complete color saturation?  I have watched the movies and read the covering and top coat manual on your website but I have not seen where it specifies.  I also had a friend read through the manual to see if I missed it but he could not find the information either.  Thanks for your help.
Posted: Sunday, May 5, 2013 3:32 AM Quote
For what you are doing on interior parts it's not that critical. On rived together joints you want as little primer possible.

Jason
Posted: Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:06 AM Quote
Thanks Jason,
One other question for you- if you reduce ecoprime 10% should it be clogging the filter?  I am using the two quarts of primer I purchased from you last July.  The first quart strained just fine when it was mixed 10 oz paint to 1 oz distilled water (10%) but the second quart has been acting different when it is strained.  It sprays just fine, but it takes 3 filters to strain 11oz of paint.  There are no chunks or visible thick residue once the paint has passed through.  The filters are the ones ordered with the primer.  Both quarts have been treated the same since arrival, have the same lot number, spent 1 week in 100 degree weather and spent the winter in the house to prevent freezing.  I did not change anything on how I was mixing the primer... stir the same length of time, add the same amount of distilled water from the same gallon jug using the same mixing cup, stirred the reduced primer for the same length of time, and poured the primer through the filter the same.  I don't quite understand why one quart would flow through the filter like water while the other quart takes 3 filters and several minutes to filter.  Both quarts spray the same and appear to have the same consistency when running off of the stir stick.  Shop temp was 78 degrees and the shop floor was sprayed with water to increase the humidity a bit since it had been running in the teens.  I do not have a M-50 cup to check the viscosity.  Could the filters be from a bad lot?  I am hoping that I do not have this problem with the gallon I ordered last weekend.
Posted: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 9:36 PM Quote
I have seen the same thing... rec'd a quart of epoxy primer & all was well day one; mixed some more a few days later, same problem you were seeing with the paint behaving like yogurt & not going through a filter. I had a small batch so I squeezed it through like toothpaste! Normal temperatures, re-lidded the cans immediately, etc...  Didn't see this with my first batch (a gallon) of the stuff.  Curious as well.