The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

painting using roller?

Posted: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 12:37 PM Quote
hi all

How about painting using a roller? Anybody did that? any info would be appriciated. Stewarts System tells me I should dilute the paint 1/2 less then using the airbrush. Thanks.

Ron
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2013 1:01 AM Quote
Ron, I did a small test panel for a friend who is thinking about painting an airplane with a roller. It worked pretty well, but you will have a little more texture than you would with a gun. The paint does need to have a higher viscosity, so follow the advice  about using less water to thin the paint. You may have to experiment to get it right. I just finished spraying a fuselage, but will need to use a roller near the tail under the horizontal stabilizer where I had a clamping fixture attached for mounting the fuselage in a rotisserie. It will be hidden from view for the most  part so the change in paint texture won't be very visable. Use a fine high density foam roller with rounded ends and don't press too hard. Good Luck!
Bob
Posted: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 12:31 PM Quote
Ron,

I am prepping to roller paint my kit built Carlson Sparrow XTC.  Let me know how your project turned out and any tips you can provide for a novice.

Gene