The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Adding an inspection hole after topcoat?

Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 8:48 AM Quote
Jason, I need to install an additional inspection hole on each of the wings of my 52 Pacer which has already been topcoated. What is the best way to do this? Do I need to sand through the topcoat (Ecopoly) to the Ecofill or just ruff up the topcoat in order to glue on the inspection ring and doylie? What's the best way to apply the Ecofill and topcoat in order to blend in with surrounding topcoat? Thanks
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 1:23 PM Quote
If you don't need to get in the wing for maint then you don't need the holes. Pacers normally have very few inspection covers per the factory drawings. We never cut open any inspection ring that doesn't need to be opened for assembly or maintenance which only a few of them.

To add an inspection ring on a painted surface first clean the area and mark the location of the ring. Scuff sand the painted finish and glue an inspection ring on with same kind of 2 part glue that Micro Aero sends with their VG kits ( Loctite 330 ) to attach the ring to the fabric. Let dry and cut out the center. No need for a doily over the ring. Only use a recessed inspection cover and it will not move and chafe the finish of the fabric.

Simple, Fast, and works anywhere you want to add an inspection ring. I never use domed covers, only recessed ones.

Jason