The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Finishline 4 vs Finishline 3

Posted: Monday, April 1, 2013 3:30 PM Quote
Finishline 3 is a recommended gun in the directions/information.  What is your opinion on the Finishline 4?
Better, worse, no different?  Starting to purchase the air equipment to get started on painting.

Also do you have a recommended filter/separator model?

I am planning on stringing 2 compressors together to get the nessessary airflow.

Thanks,

Bill Thomasson
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2013 7:16 PM Quote
The directions were written back in 2006/2007 and many things have changed regarding newer spray equipment. Honestly it was a mistake to put information regarding a specific paint gun in the directions. Always supply your paint gun up with as much air as the manufacture recommends. Always shoot spray pattern tests before painting. Always shoot a few test panels first before painting your airplane. Never learn how to paint on real airplane parts.

The only difference between the -3 and -4 gun is the updated air control valve on the trigger. Same gun otherwise.

My Favorite paint gun right now is the DeVilbiss Tekna Pro-Lite kit# 703566. It has 2 air caps and 3 nozzles and can be set up to use less air than the finishline paint gun. It atomizes paint better, cleans up better, and is much more versatile.

If plumbing 2 small 110v compressors together remember that no where in the air supply to the paint gun should there be a quick disconnect accept between the gun and the hose and that one needs to be the special "high flow" type connector. Also try to adjust both compressors to come on at the same time. If your gun wants 13cfm then you need 2 7cfm compressors plumbed together parallel not in series. That's 2 compressors feeding one regulator.

Jason
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2013 8:18 PM Quote
Thanks for the recommendation. It really helps us amateur painters. Do you have any recommended filter water separators
Thanks again. Bill
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2013 8:45 PM Quote
More questions.  The kit you recommended comes with 2 air caps

Needle/Nozzle: 1.2, 1.3, 1.4mm
Air Cap: TE10 and TE20 High efficiency
Cup: 900 cc Aluminum

But not the hplv air cap.
Do you recommend shooting it with the TE20 cap or the hplv cap?   I had understood you should use hplv for the ekopoly

Thanks again for the recommendations.
Bill
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2013 10:24 PM Quote
Best bang for the buck in a 2 stage filter/regulator for in the booth is the Cam-Air 2 stage with regulator. It filters down to .01 micron.

I use the 1.2 nozzle and the TE10 air cap for the paint. I prefer how the TE10 cap atomizes the primer and paint but that's just me. I use the 1.3 or 1.4 with primers. The TE10 cap only uses about 10cfm. I have a TE30 HVLP cap for the Tekna but don't like it. Everyone shoots a little different and paints in different environments so there is no true one size fits all answer.  In a humid area the TE20 or TE30 might be better.

Jason
Posted: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:28 AM Quote
thanks,   It is really helpful to have these recommendations as a starting point.
Bill