The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Is Stewart System compatable with other systems?

Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:02 PM Quote
Can Stewart System be used over Stitts process for repairs or refinishing large areas?
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:41 PM Quote
Yes Stewart Systems is FAA approved for repair and repaint over other existing systems. Patching is a minor repair and only requires a log book entry. Large areas needing repair as per the FAA definition that require a form 337 do require that you remove the existing finish to the bare fabric. All fabric STC's require that you remove the finish down to the bare fabric when making a repair. The difference is that Stewart Systems is approved for repair and repaint over any existing system because there are no solvents that will attack and soften the integrity of other systems glue or finishes. Also if you so decide to repaint the entire component there are no incompatibility issues. Simply remove grease-oil-wax, scuff sand, prime and paint.

Jason
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 12:05 PM Quote
When you say that you can paint over other finishes,my plane is done in stitts but the top coat is Imron.
I'm doing a job where I have to replace the outboard 2 ft of fabric on each wing.Can I paint over the Imron where the repairs meet?
Also there is some minor cracking in small spots on the wing and I would like to change the colour of the wings.Can I paint your product over the whole wing over the exsisting Imron ,if so does it leave a flexible enough coating to cover the small cracks and will it stop them from spreading?
If so how do I prep the old finish to paint on your top coat?
Also any suggestions on how to soften up and remove the Imron top coat where the repairs will meet ,seeing I need to get that area down to bare fabric to use your system.
THANKS
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 12:46 PM Quote
Judd, I'm sorry to say that you're stuck with the small cracks. You can sand the entire wing down and re-prime with our EkoPrime or EkoFill to smooth it out but that hard Imron paint will continue to crack over time.

The best way to remove the old Finnish down to the bare fabric is to use a straight edge and scribe a deep line in the paint surface. Then soak the fabric from behind with MEK to soften the bond of the finish to the fabric and when it's ready you can lift it off with a putty knife.

You can then do the fabric repair. Bring it up through EkoFill and paint the entire wing. What kind of airplane are you working on? I would choose to recover a wing rather than repair cracking paint job like that. It takes most people about 50-60 hrs to cover and paint a cub size wing. I would figure you would have 10 hours into the tip fabric repair and paint and about 10+15 hours into the prep and paint of the rest of the wing.

Jason
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 1:14 PM Quote
THANKS Jason

It is a cub wing,the small cracks aren't that bad and it has always been hangered so the fabric is in Excellent shape so I don't want to have to do a complete recover right now.
So where the 2 finishes meet I can use the Eco Fill to smooth out the joint and then finish out the repair with your system?

I guess the easiest thing is to put a coloured speed line at the join to cover up the difference in the 2 different finishes and just leave the rest of the wings in the old Imron until they need a new fabric job.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR SPEEDY REPLY
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 3:56 PM Quote
Yup the EkoFill Is what you want to use to feather out the joint between the old and the new. What color are you painting?

If it's Yellow I would recommend that after you get the old finish smoothed out and the new fabric on and up through the 3 x-coats of grey EkoFill that you prime the entire wing with the white EkoPrime before painting it yellow.

Jason
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 4:23 PM Quote
THANKS Jason

The wing is white, so for now I will just leave it white instead of painting the whole wing and just do the ends.
THANKS FOR THE HELP
When it comes time to do a total recover I will be using the STEWART system.